Wednesday, February 17, 2010

300 Calorie Series - Ranch Dip with fruit and veggies

Okay, perhaps N's Wonderful World should have been titled Cards, Cooking, and other Crazy ideas, haha. I think I am going to start posting a few 300 calorie or less meal options. Not that I expect everyone who reads this to be losing weight, but I know at different points everyone is conscious of what they are eating. Not to mention there are days where you know a big meal is on the way and want something a little lighter.

To begin, I will give you one of my favorite meals. In fact this meal runs 240 calories. I particularly love this meal because of the portability, quick preparation, and it's a plate FULL of food. The star of this meal is the dip. Here is the recipe:

6 oz. of low-fat cottage cheese

1/4 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning

Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor, blender, or magic bullet until smooth. Mix in ranch seasoning packet.

Serve with 8 oz. of raw snap peas or other vegetable such as celery or bell pepper.

Finish off the meal with a sweet piece of fruit, such as a peach or orange.

I usually make a few servings in advance, put them in small air tight containers, purchase the 8 oz. bag of snap peas, and an orange. This is so simple and so portable! The cottage cheese is a good source of protein and the fruit rounds out some good carbohydrates. Not to mention the fiber in the veggies and fruit.
If you are not a fan of ranch, you can try taco seasoning (sodium free or low sodium), or any other seasoning combination. Give it a shot, you might just be pleasantly surprised with the ranch dressing substitute! In fact if you want lightened up ranch dressing, just add a little water to your mixture until you find the desired consistency! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm this sounds good. I may have to try it...though I could just eat those sugar snap peas plain! Yum!

    ReplyDelete