Friday, February 26, 2010

Preparing for the Spaghetti Squash Trilogy

I am in love with spaghetti squash! I was a little intimidated by this vegetable in the beginning, but now it's nearly a staple on our menu. I always choose a bright yellow squash without scuff marks if possible. Our grocery store only carries a small number at a time, so if they are in stock I often buy two. Once prepared, this squash can be used in various recipes or frozen. I usually start by washing the squash and removing any stickers or adhesive residue from stickers. I then cut the squash in half lengthwise. This can be the most difficult part of the process. I have read that this process can be made easier by putting the squash in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I usually just use my brute strength or ask the husband for help.

Once I get the squash cut, I use a large serving spoon to scoop out the seeds and guts. Originally, I was worried that I was scooping out the noodles, so I left the slimy guts inside. I quickly learned this was not accurate. Grab those guts and seeds!
Next I pour about a half inch of water into a baking dish. I then set my spaghetti squash cut side down. I preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake my squash for 40 minutes. Once the squash comes out, I take a fork and pull out the "spaghetti". You might be pleasantly surprised with how much comes out of the squash. When I am done, there is just a thin shell left. From here the possibilities are endless! I will post three easy recipes very soon! This squash is wonderful with just about any seasoning or in place of spaghetti noodles. Oh and a serving is definitely under 300 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment