For two years or maybe even longer I have wanted to try a specific soup recipe. I had heard there was a recipe for Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscana floating around the Internet. I looked at several versions of it and considered it about three million times. For some reason I decided to put it on our menu this week. I have been trying a lot of new recipes lately. Some have been pretty good and others have not made it in to my recipe collection! In fact, I take pictures of a lot of them, but there is no sense in posting a recipe that is just so-so. Today is a different story. This soup recipe is just like eating at Olive Garden and I even changed it slightly!
Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes, washed and chopped
Jennie-O Lean Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey (Cooked and crumbled)
1 small onion
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Quart Water
2 Tablespoons Chicken Bouillon
1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
2 Cups Chopped Kale (washed and dried with paper towels before chopping)
Crushed Red Pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese to taste
In a sauce pan, fry bacon with chopped onion. When bacon is crispy, remove and crumble. Set bacon aside for later use. Add garlic to onion and saute for one minute. Add water, chicken bouillon, and potatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes or less if potatoes seem to be cooked thoroughly. Add crumbled bacon, crumbled sausage, chopped kale, and heavy cream. Let simmer an additional 4 minutes. Garnish with a dash of red pepper and Parmesan cheese (not included in nutritional information).
Yield: 10 servings as a cup of soup or 5 servings as a bowl
Nutritional information: 6 WW points for a cup or 11 points for a bowl.
A bowl is around 523 calories, 33 carbohydrates, 27.9 grams of protein, 31.4 grams of fat, 3.2 grams of fiber. A cup is about 261 calories, 16.5 carbohydrates, 13.9 grams of protein, 15.7 grams of fat, 1.6 grams of fiber. When I figured this out I included the bacon drippings that do not get drained off and add a lot of flavor!

I want to try this, but I will need to lower the points first. Maybe drain the bacon, and is the heavy whipping cream negotiable at all? I wouldn't be surprised if it was really difficult for me to find kale around here...but I shall give it a go! Sounds good!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds good! I bet you could totally trim some calories from this soup (if you wanted to)...
ReplyDeleteSigh. I love soup. I might need to try this one.
I refigured it. You could easily cut the sausage in half. There is really a lot in the recipe. That makes is about 4 points a cup or 8 points a bowl. It's delicious.
ReplyDelete