Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Coincidence and Credibility

I don't really believe in coincidence. I think everything happens for a reason. Usually, these are experiences or people I meet, being in the right place at the right time, but recently it has been more about words and books. My professor assigned a text called Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner. I expected this book to be a technical, dry read. I was delighted to find the words on the page seemed to be written just for me! I am not done with the book, but am so excited to finish it. Here are a few of the profound thoughts by Kouzes and Posner:

-"When values are clear they don't have to rely upon direction from someone in authority." pg. 61

-Conflict is the result of values colliding...wow, how true is that? I thought back to all of the conflict I could think of in the past few months and was able to trace every bit of it back to two or more of my values conflicting. I realized that at work I have been frustrated because I value being successful almost as much as I value spending time with my husband. Traveling on nights and weekends are required to be successful, unfortunately, that's when I get to see the love of my life! Some how just being more aware of why there is internal conflict brought a sense of peace over me.

-"If they do not believe that they can meet the challenges of a particular task, even when they have the requisite skills to do so, they have no business trying to lead a group under those circumstances." Pg. 76

Okay, now for the fun part of the book. I'd be really curious to hear all your examples for this following piece. Kouzes and Posner discuss how trends in your history can be indicative of what you value. Think about the following question posed in Credibility:
What were your favorite books as a child? What values did they espouse?

My heart was so warmed thinking about my favorite childhood books. The ones I loved the most were: The Little Engine that Could, I'll Love you Forever, Little House on the Prairie, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Amelia Bedelia, All the Little Miss books, like Little Miss Sunshine, Little Miss Manners, etc., Bernstein Bears, One Fat Summer, The Bible- specifically Noah's Ark, Jesus' birth, and Easter and the list of other books could go on forever! Some of the values are so obvious, but others left me thinking for a moment. Amelia Bedelia always meant well and tried so hard! The Bernstein Bears were just such a sweet little family. Little House on the
Prairie was full of characters who were hard workers and strong people. I'm still not sure on the Hungry Caterpillar, I might have to go back and read that one very soon!

Okay, I have to know- what were your favorite books? Any insights?

Even though I'm far from done with the book, I think Credibility is a great read!!

5 comments:

  1. So different comment, when we were on a ferry boat ride on the Hudson our tour guide had a great quote, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." Their boat was the 4th on the scene when the plane landed in the Hudson and they helped take people to shore, after just off-loading a tour group, so they were empty enough to handle all the people on the plane. Coincidence or God's work - you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyla- I absolutely think you and the tour guide are right. I think that God works in such mysterious ways. I try to remember that when I get frustrated at being slowed down by traffic or my plans changing for the day. I never know what God quite has planned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... one of my all-time favorite books is The Giving Tree. I think it's partly my favorite because it was the first book I read by myself. But it's really about giving and giving and giving. I do that. When I can't give more suggestions, direction, etc., I end up just sitting with a person in their pain. Like the tree. I also love The Little Prince. If you haven't read it- it is a MUST READ. I'll have to think more about how that book reflects my values...

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Glad you're enjoying your required reading! It sounds interesting! Definitely food for thought.

    Oh... and it appears that The Very Hungry Caterpillar's value is that if you eat enough you can turn into a butterfly... ;-) Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Whitney! I didn't even think of that, haha! That's awesome! I suppose it could also be about change and how change can be a good thing, after all the world does have butterflies!!! :-)
    Heidi- The Giving Tree- what a great analogy to your occupation! That's very cool. I thought the question provided such good food for thought, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete