Friday, February 12, 2010

When Evening Closes In

Last night as we watched TV out of our basement, we were suddenly disturbed. Sirens screamed closer and closer to our house, finally stopping right at our door step. We rushed up the stairs, thinking it must be for our next door neighbor. Sure enough, we opened our front door just in time to see him loaded on the stretcher and frantic EMT's trying to resuscitate him. A number of neighbors gathered around the man's wife. She didn't know if he was going to make it. As the ambulance drove away, we watched helplessly. We knew they were still trying desperately to save his life. As I got ready for bed last night my mind was racing. I was so worried about him and his wife. I wanted so badly to just be able to comfort their family. All at once a song from church popped into my head.

The song is I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry. I wish I knew who wrote it to give credit where credit is due, but I do know it's in various Lutheran hymnals. We had the song sung at our wedding, I've heard it at baptisms, confirmations, and most major events in between. I was comforted knowing that my neighbor was in better hands than I could ever offer. As the lyrics in the song note, "when evening closes in, I will be there with just one more surprise". Of course God is there, God is always there and even though the passing of our neighbor is difficult, I find great comfort in knowing he is experiencing that last big surprise- Heaven.

I had a "thinking of you" card that I made over the summer. It ended up having a lot of black in it and I thought it would be fit for this type of moment in life. This evening after work when I made dinner to take to the neighbor, I went right to the card. Since my thoughts of sympathy and offering of prayers takes so little space in the card, I printed a copy of the lyrics to share with my neighbor. I hoped she would appreciate them and find comfort the same way I did. The funeral is on Thursday afternoon. I know we haven't said good bye to our neighbor, but just until we meet again and can share that one last surprise together.

I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry lyrics:

I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child,
with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off
to find where demons dwell.

When you heard the wonder of the Word
I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord,
to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time
and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme
from dusk 'till rising sun.

In the middle ages of your life,
not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night,
complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise.

I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.

2 comments:

  1. We love this song too. :-) Kyle sang it to Ander while he was in the womb. Coolest moment ever was when Ander was born and was crying, Kyle started singing it to him and he immediately went silent! Hope your neighbor's wife is doing okay. How old was he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, so sweet. We can't figure out how old he was. Late 60's or early 70's is our guess. The obituary hasn't been published yet. Makes me sad because the wife just says she'll be so lonely after the funeral. I just can't even imagine. I plan to keep her company.

    ReplyDelete