Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's up Doc?

Thursday morning I visited my regular doctor’s office.  I hate going to the doctor just to find out I’m a whiner or not really having any serious problems, so I save up reasons to go.  Today, I presented three.  One was my back pain, the second was my ears, and the third was a question about gluten.  I felt a little silly have three different issues, but I knew one would be super quick.  She checked my ears first, they were fine, I’m just congested from allergies.  I was glad they were okay, it seems like everyone locally has had ear infections!  My back is probably my sciatic nerve.  I had seen the same doctor back in January when I couldn’t stand up my back hurt so bad.  She gave me some exercises to do every morning to strengthen my lower back. She also put me back on the ice, rest, and meds campaign.  Hopefully, just a couple of days and I’ll be back to good. Regarding the gluten the doctor thought I might have an intolerance.  She gave me a few nutritional guidelines, not necessarily related to gluten intolerance.  She wants me to start each day with a protein source within 30 minutes of waking up.  She also suggested a half a grapefruit to aid with digestion, specifically the body processing fat.  I am suppose to drink at least 100 ounces of water a day, which I do usually anyway.  I am also suppose to limit refined carbohydrates to one meal.  She explained that a small serving of spaghetti with a couple pieces of garlic bread would be plenty for someone for a day’s worth of those type of carbohydrates.  She also suggested some gluten free products to try.  I guess we give this a whirl and see how it goes.  I found it mildly interesting that she said, “Don’t go crazy and cut all carbs out of your diet or do Atkins.”  Especially since I just told her I ate spaghetti for dinner a couple nights earlier! I love carbs, cutting them out is not an option in the forseeable future! Anyway, glad I’m okay and have simple changes to make. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are getting some answers to your questions, even if you felt a little weird "saving them up". :) Hope this stuff helps!!

    ReplyDelete