I love to read people's success stories. I was reading one yesterday and have been thinking about one of the main points in the story. The person said something to the effect of, "eating, brushing my teeth, sleeping, etc. are non negotiables in day-to-day life, so why should exercise be negotiable?" I want to know...what are your thoughts? Do you agree? Is this how you view exercise?
It's a different perspective than what I have heard before, there are no right or wrong answers, I'm just purely curious what your view points are. Also, I'd encourage you to comment before reading other people's comments. I want to know your unique response. If you comment and then want to go back and read other comments and comment back, feel free. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I feel like it should be. I think it would make it a lot easier to just do it everyday if I could get into this mindset.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid I have days where brushing my teeth becomes negotiable! :-/ Eating and sleeping, I become immediately affected I don't do either of these. On those days where something's got to give I can continue to function if I happen to skip exercising. I know that it's better if I exercise and brush my teeth, but they aren't nearly as detrimental as giving my body fuel and rest.
ReplyDeleteI also have to admit that I've got some issues with some people's idea of exercise's place in a healthy lifestyle. Exercise has truly become a god in our society. Going to the gym, running x-many miles a day, lifting x-amount of weight, etc. I don't know about you, but I feel a lot of pressure and find myself constantly failing under these expectations!
Just as diets are more likely to succeed if they are something we can realistically live with, exercise should be approached the same way (in my opinion). Where can we incorporate it into our regular lives? Perhaps parking further away at the store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and so on and so forth. I have a harder time committing 1/2 an hour a day to exercise than I do with taking the approach of granting myself the patience to take the long way of doing something for a little more of a work out. It's good for us to slow down, reflect, and happen to burn a few calories while existing in our busy lives. :-)
I'd like to make it part of my day. I try to make it part of my day. This new "diet" I'm on only asks me to do 17 minutes of exercise a day. I can totally do 17 minutes every day!
ReplyDeleteOkay I haven't read the other comments and I don't think my comments will be overly surprising. I view exercise as a prescription to health. It is a "pill" to take daily to lower your blood pressure, lower your risk of diabetes, cancer, stroke, and heart disease, increases endorphins, helps you sleep better, and the list continues; it is a magic "drug" for your health. Like your multivitamin, take once daily, even a walk or doing laundry. Even evolutionarily we're designed to be active. For best results take with a healthy diet ;)
ReplyDelete