This morning I decided to tell my supervisor about yesterday. I told my supervisor very briefly about the conversation I had yesterday. I said that I made the original request a year and a half ago and again a month or two ago. That it had not been taken care of because a single person was in opposition. I told him it boiled down to human decency and that I was going to purchase the garbage can for the stall and charge it to his budget. He said not to worry about it.
When the individual who talked to me about the topic yesterday came to work, she proceeded to check in and discuss the topic with me all over again. This time I was a lot more firm, a lot more direct, and really used my stern tone of voice. I explained most of what I wrote on here yesterday. She argued that in previous positions she has worked in bathrooms that had small trash cans in the bathroom stalls that were filthy. I suggested that this was a different employer and the staff here needed an opportunity to be responsible for their work environment, including the trash can in the bathroom. I also explained I came from a different perspective since I have worked in several offices and traveled, and have never seen a filthy garbage can in a women's bathroom stall. She said I was making accusations and using strong, emotional language. I told her I was not making accusations, that I was simply stating my perspective on the manner. I also said that if any other person were in her position that this task would have already been taken care of. In fact I found out there were suppose to be mini trash receptacles in there, but when they built the building they just forgot to order them. I think she got really upset when I told her I discussed the matter with my supervisor and he said he would take care of it. I also told her I was done, could not waste any more time on the matter. She said she was just trying to tell me she had not forgotten about the task, it was just taking longer because she had met opposition from one staff. I reminded her I made the original request a year and a half ago. Strange, she had no rebuttal to that. Another staff reminded me later that we actually have already discussed this at a staff meeting over a year ago!
We finished our conversation and I left for lunch. Right before I left I heard her talking to my supervisor. She left to run an errand after their conversation. When I came back from lunch I spied this in the bathroom:
When I walked back to put some food in the kitchen, she saw me and asked if I would take a walk with her. I told her I saw the garbage cans and said thanks for purchasing them. I wasn't about to give her a gold star for just doing her job...18 months after I asked her to do it. An hour later I went to leave for a doctor's appointment and she asked if I was leaving a happy girl. I said, "Of course I am, I'm leaving work for the day." She chuckled. What I really wanted to say was, "Of course, we don't have to discuss tampons and pads for another day." The garbage can isn't that big of a deal, being manipulated and lied to (as I found out today) is offensive. Oh well, such is life. I'm proud of myself for being direct and not just letting someone bully me. I generally try to win more bees with honey, but I expect honey back.
In other news I saw the fertility doctor today. He was great. We left with a plan, a cost estimate, and a lot of information to digest. I really appreciate that he starts with low tech options and moves on from there. After the appointment we went to dinner for our anniversary. We had Brazilian food...amazing. Tomorrow is our 3 year wedding anniversary. I am so fortunate to have married the love of my life.
Jason...after three years I am still nearly speechless when it comes to putting into words how crazy about you I am. To this day, our vows ring true and I'm still crazy in love with you!!! Just like I said three years ago, I will say again...In the presence of God, our family and friends I Nacole, take you Jason to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.

awwww *sniffles* so you're saying you're going to keep him around? ha ha good call, just like I said 3 years ago, he truly was the missing piece to the puzzle in our family.
ReplyDeleteGlad I didn't bug you last night about your appointment. I was going to call, but decided to leave you alone, glad I didn't interrupt your date!
Naomi
p.s. did your coworker work at a damn McDonald's? Where did she work that they got so "filthy"? lol
OK, the schmoopy stuff.... you know I have raging neurotransmitters and you hit me with schmoopy poopy?! I can't take it! I'm going to weep! :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you won the garbage can battle. Some people...ugh.
I love you dear! Happy anniversary!
ReplyDelete-J