Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Food for thought...

This morning I woke up in such a haze. I just felt so foggy, even driving in to work. When I got here I had a bite to eat and started working on organizing some boxes. After a few hours it was time to go to my weekly Weight Watcher meeting. I am not really sure what was so inspiring about it, but I left feeling like I could conquer the world. I came back to work, ate my lunch, and am still in awe over how refreshed I feel. I didn’t lose weight; in fact I gained this week. I am quite fine with that, I was nearly positive I would. I am proud of myself for going, weighing, and participating even though I knew the scale was going to be up. At the meeting they talked about how many million people go to bed hungry compared to the billion who are overweight. It actually made me think of a Bible verse!
Luke 3:11 says, "…The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same." I have thought about this verse on numerous occasions. Every time I go through my closet to donate clothes, I think about it. I suppose I should clarify, I think about the first part of the verse. I didn’t realize there was another part of the verse until I looked it up! I know that we are instructed to treat our bodies as temples and there are other verses about food. I had no idea this little gem was hanging out in the Bible. It really makes me conscious of using only what I need, not too much and not too little. I know I can apply this concept to most areas of my life, use only as much water, plastic, electricity, etc. as I need and be a general good steward. Before we left the meeting our lovely presenter suggested we pick a goal for the week. I think my goal will be centered around being a good steward of food. I will try to prepare what we will eat, that way little should go to waste. I can also be more conscious when dinning out. I can split a plate, order a kids meal, or take half of my food home.
Weight Watchers launched a Lose For Good Campaign. For every pound we lost between now and the next seven weeks, they will donate a dollar, up to a million dollars to Share our Strength and Action Against Hunger to help feed children and families in need! We are also encouraged as participants to donate food for every pound we lose. I feel like I should pledge/make a goal now for what I will attempt to accomplish in the next 7 weeks. I think I will try to lose 11 pounds. For every pound I lose, I will donate a pound of food to our local food pantry. Anybody with me? Even if you don’t lose weight, how about making a donation to your local food pantry or trying to be a better steward of the food you have? I think it’s a fun little challenge!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you Nacole!! I actually had a rough week with weight loss also, can I blame Labor Day? Ha ha
    I could join in your adventure. I was motivated by today's meeting topic also. I like having a challenge... I'm thinking I will try to lose 10 pounds by the October date. And I wanna make sure the food I donate is healthy food too. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..7 weeks...that seems so...short! I'd love to try it with you though! I always end up struggling with motivation & time management. I would love to try to restart the C25K...sigh. So is the official start date ...today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi-Yes the start date is today. I guess it actually started on the 5th. 7 weeks is short, but that's so do-able!! Yay!!!

    Naomi- Yeah Labor Day is a good thing to blame. Out of the people who weighed in today, my group only lost like 5 lbs or something! Yikes, lol. Our leader called our food bank to find out what they were in need of. I think I will donate like oatmeal, whole grain pasta, beans, etc. Those were all on the list. They also said they have a lot of kids who don't get to celebrate birthdays, so last year they did birthday kits with cakes, frosting, candles, etc! She said there is another program where they fill back packs for teachers to send home with kids on the weekends. Those need easy to open containers like apple sauce, peel top cans, etc.

    Yay! I'm excited you will both be joining me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. I guess I need to weigh myself then...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! I'll go until Halloween for my marathon! I know I'll finish the marathon, but how long it will take is up for debate.

    ReplyDelete