Monday, April 19, 2010

Wrapped up in Rubens

I love Rubens! Unfortunately, the average Reuben is loaded with calories. I recently saw a Ruben dip recipe in my new Hungry Girl cookbook. I didn't follow the recipe, but I did note two distinct differences between their dip and a traditional Reuben. One change was to use turkey and the other was fat free French dressing. At the grocery store I bought one pound of deli turkey, a can of sauerkraut, some Kraft Free French Dressing, Swiss cheese, and some LaTortilla Factory Rye Wraps.


The original recipe probably called for veggies to dip, but part of the Reuben for me is the rye bread. Thinking I would prepare meals for the week, I got out four small Ziploc containers. I think they are 6 oz. containers. I sliced my deli turkey into inch long and 1/4 inch wide slices. I usually prefer everything to be fairly chopped up to make dipping or biting easier, especially with braces! I dropped 3 oz. of turkey into each container. You will have just a little extra, perfect for salad or a mid afternoon snack. Next I added two ounces of drained sauerkraut. I noticed that there is a slight caloric difference between mild sauerkraut and Bavarian sauerkraut. I used mild sauerkraut which had 10 calories per serving as opposed to Bavarian that has 20 calories. Next I stirred in one tablespoon of French dressing. Finally, I added 3/4 of an ounce of Swiss cheese. I chopped my Swiss cheese into butter pad sizes to make melting a little easier. That's it...I put in the refrigerator until I need them (by the way, nothing stays in my fridge for more than 6 or 7 days...I'm kind of weird about leftovers and such, so I would also suggest eating this recipe in 7 days...anything longer is at your own risk.).


When I grab one out of the fridge, I just heat my tortilla for 20 seconds and my Ruben filling for 1-2 minutes. I spread the filling on the tortilla, wrap, and enjoy! It's instant Ruben pleasure for just 295 calories! One serving of a regular Reuben has around 800 calories. So, enjoy this toned down and delicious swap.

1 comment:

  1. The thought of sauerkraut is making my mouth water so much right now. Mmmm love it!

    ReplyDelete