Last night I decided to train for a 5k. I have wanted to run a 5k for quite a while now. I ran a 3k (I think it was 3k) years ago...like 12 years ago in Montana. Since then I have put on 5k events and always worked them, not had the opportunity to run in one. I am also quite aware that while I can hang out on my elliptical for hours, running is a different story. A couple people suggested I use the couch to 5k program. So, I looked it up online and found a free version of the program that had podcasts for my downloading pleasure. Before I went to bed last night I was so sure I would wake up this morning and run. The joke was on me...there was snow. I packed my bag to hit the gym after work, but all the snow had melted by the time work was over. I was able to day one training at a local park.
I have decided I need a new pair of shorts or sweats that don't fall down while I'm running. I kept having to yank mine up. I also need a better sports bra...mine was okay, but my shoulders hurt. I am open to suggestions if you know a good brand...one that is supportive and bonus points if you don't end up with what I refer to as "unaboob". I think I need a drawstring pair of sweats or shorts. I also need to get an armband for my Zune. I have new walking shoes, but after a while I might invest in running shoes. More than likely I will "reward" myself for keeping up with training by purchasing my "running" gear.
The podcast was pretty decent. I warmed up with walking for five minutes, followed by intervals of walking for 90 seconds and jogging for 60 seconds, and finished with a five minute cool down. I did a mile and a half in my thirty minute training. I instantly felt more confident again. I didn't like running near a road with lots of traffic, I was a little concerned about people seeing me jog...I realize this is sort of silly since a 5k would be a place where lots of people would see me jogging. I just need to get in my groove and really figure out what I am doing.
I plan to run a 5k near Thanksgiving. I might even run one in ten weeks if I am ready. The program is 9 weeks long. I am happy with having one day done. I hope I can keep up and just keep going with it. Anyway, it cheered me up.
I also sent an e-mail out today to the group that had an individual who sent me hate mail and feel like I resolved it. I actually wrote back and forth a little with the person I think sent the mail. Even if it wasn't her, she knows who it was to share today's conversations. So, I can actually sleep tonight! Yay!!!
In other news...my husband and I are going on TWO dates this weekend. How cool is that? I think I am the luckiest woman in the world sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment