Thursday, July 29, 2010

Call me crazy...

Let's rewind a few years...I have thought about being a teacher for several years.  I chose not to when I went to college because my parents were teachers. I didn't want to hear, "Oh, just like your parents."  I wanted to make something out of me, for me, unattached to anyone else I know.  So, I went through college.  I loved learning about communication, mostly because we got up in front of class and gave informative speeches.  Ever since graduating from college I have gone back to this website for earning a post-bac teacher licensure.  I literally go back once every three months and re-read the entire website.  I have not really mentioned this fact to anyone.  Partially, because I think I might be crazy to consider going back to school full time...8-5 Monday-Friday in a classroom.  After all, we have a house and God willing would like to start a family.  The timing of it all just isn't perfect, but I am not sure if and when it ever will be.  In fact, my fear is if I don't pursue it now, it will be one of those things I always wondered "what if?"

I think I would be a good teacher for several reasons.  I like kids, a lot.  I enjoy being creative. Hence my cards.  I like making a difference.  A teacher has a schedule of when to be at school and when to go home.  I understand there is homework at night, I even helped my mom do grading when I lived at home.  I have been a substitute teacher and I enjoyed it.  In fact, I worked in the special education classroom.  I have also been a Sunday School teacher and Girl Scout Leader.  I appreciate being able to help others learn and see more of the world. 

I guess I just worry that what if I do this and then decide I really was crazy?  I suppose this fear is based on what others will say.  I know I will always be able to find a job, but I don't just want to find a job, I want to be really happy.  Going through the job search now, I feel like I have really limited my options because I know what I like to do and what I don't like to do.  I am young and think this is the time in my life I should make these decisions.  The program is a one year program.  When completed I would also have a partial MA in education.  I would only be 5 classes short, I'd have 5 years to complete those, of having another MA.

This has really been weighing on my heart and I haven't told very many people.  It would mean big changes as far as leaving work to attend school full time for a year and then going back through the process of finding a job.  Sure, the pay is not amazing, but let's be serious for a moment, all my work experience is in the non-profit field.  As a volunteer coordinator there is not a lot more for me to make.  It would be comparable to teaching, without an MA. I am of the thinking if there is a will there is a way.  I have until December to get my application materials in. A lot could happen in that time, plus I always have the option of being accepted and changing my mind.  I am not sure why this is even a debate for me.  I guess I worry to much about what other people will think and spending a year on a slim budget.  I would probably try to pick up a part time job in that time to supplement financial aid.  Anyway, that's what's on my heart...

4 comments:

  1. Ah! COLEY! You would be an AMAZING teacher! :-) And I think going for the the MA is brilliant!  I want to talk to you more about this, so we'll have to have a phone date sometime soon! <3 Goobly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you waiting for? I think you should go for it and follow your passion. Timing never works out the way you plan it. God has a HUGE sense of humor and things that are meant to be just come together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would be a wonderful teacher! Little kids always love you. I'll support you in anything you want to do in life. We'll figure things out and as long as I have you, nothing else matters. Love you!

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to follow your heart and go with what will make you happy. If you are happy the money will come. There are some student loan forgiveness programs for school teachers too, you should look into that. Maybe you could see about getting a part time job in a school. Good luck! I bet you would be an awesome teacher as well! :) -T

    ReplyDelete