Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's like Christmas in July

One of the most wonderful things in the whole wide world is walking out to the garden and discovering fresh produce! I get so excited when I know I planted seeds and all of a sudden I go out one day and find the fruits of my labor.  Today, I found three ripe cherry tomatoes and lots of basil.  I also have some zucchini, summer squash, and green beans that are almost ready or ready to be picked! Since the produce is right in the backyard, I like to pick it right before using it. 

J has been outside working this morning and I've been cleaning up some inside. We had a person coming to pick up an old washing machine, so couldn't really leave the house. None the less, I was getting hungry. I walked out to the garden and grabbed my tomatoes and basil. I decided a small salad would be a perfect snack to tide me over until the hubby is done mowing the jungle, I mean yard. Now, I have two recipes that I use faithfully and both call for tomato and basil. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the ingredients for either recipe, so I combined them. The first recipe is bruschetta. I get rave reviews and have never served it without someone asking for the recipe! It has tomatoes, feta, olive oil, black olives, green onions, etc. The other recipe is a simple salad of tomatoes, basil, oil, vinegar, mozzarella, and Mrs. Dash. Today, I used my 2 leaves of basil, my three cherry tomatoes, a dash of olive oil, dash of salt, dash of pepper sauce, dash of dried garlic, black olives, and mozzarella. I chopped up the necessary goods and mixed it all together. I wanted a baguette to put my salad on, but settled for some whole wheat sandwich bread instead. I toasted it and spread some light Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese on before topping with my salad. It was divine. Naturally, I prefer the original bruschetta recipe, because I think feta is amazing, but this was pretty good. Just like Christmas in July!




1 comment:

  1. Very cute how you arranged the basil and tomatoes up top! Clever! And this sounds pretty yummy...so many of my favorite things. :)

    ReplyDelete