Sunday, February 13, 2011
Day 15
This morning the doctor called to give us a fertilization report. We had opted to use ICSI which is Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. This process injects a single sperm into the oocyte in order to increase the chances of fertilization. Out of the 20 eggs, the doctor performed ICSI on 18 of them. The benefit of keeping two off to the side is to see if they would have fertilized on their own, in our case they did not. Out of the 18 that did fertilize, 9 are developing and growing normally so far. This is a good number. A lot of women only start with 10 eggs and go down from there, so to have 9 in the running is excellent. In a strange way knowing that they fertilized only with ICSI is reaffirming too. Moving on to IVF was the best move for us, because IUI (where they just inject the sperm into the uterus to mimic normal conception and is much less invasive) would not have been successful for us. Between my tubes and needing to use ICSI, I am very confident we made an appropriate decision. I won't get a report tomorrow, but the doctor does want to touch base with me to monitor for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome or OHSS. In fact, I need to go weight myself as part of the monitoring. I am feeling okay today, sleepy and sore, but doing okay. I'm so relieved to know we have 9 little embryos in the making.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment